First National Real Estate Blog

At First National we put you first

First National Real Estate

COVID-19 Support Available for Tenants

Support Available for Tenants



If you have lost your job and are concerned about falling into arrears, please:

 - Immediately email your property manager

 - Apply for financial assistance from Centrelink

 - Speak to energy providers for assistance and payment plans

 - Read the Australian Government Department of Social Services FAQ

If you suspect you or a family member has Coronavirus you should call (not visit) your GP or ring the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.



The Government has announced it will provide a temporary Coronavirus Supplement of $550 a fortnight to new and existing income support recipients from 27 April 2020 for six months. People will receive their usual payment plus $550 each fortnight for the six-month period.


The Coronavirus Supplement will be provided to people receiving:


 - JobSeeker Payment

 - Sickness Allowance

 - Youth Allowance for jobseekers

 - Parenting Payment Partnered

 - Parenting Payment Single

 - Partner Allowance

 - Sickness Allowance

 - Farm Household Allowance

Two Economic Support Payments

The Government has announced it will provide an Economic Support payment of $750 to Social Security and Veterans’ income support recipients, Farm Household Allowance (FHA) recipients, Family Tax Benefit (FTB) recipients and holders of a Pensioner Concession Card, Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) or Commonwealth Gold Card who were eligible on 12 March 2020.

It has also announced it will extend the eligibility for the first Economic Support payment to people who were eligible for their payment or card between 12 March 2020 and 13 April 2020 (inclusive). It will also provide a second Economic Support payment, also of $750, to people eligible for any of the payments or cards in the first round of payments on 10 July 2020 so long as they do not receive the Coronavirus Supplement with their payment.


Crisis Payment

Changes are being made to crisis payment to ensure people who are in financial hardship and need to self-isolate receive the support they need.

Current income support recipients who cannot meet mutual obligation requirements due to isolation should call Services Australia and can be granted a Major Personal Crisis exemption, without having to provide evidence such as a medical certificate.

Students receiving Youth Allowance (student) or other study related payments who are in Australia but unable to attend studies due to Coronavirus would be taken to have a reasonable excuse for not meeting study activity requirements for their payments. Individuals in this situation must contact Services Australia to advise them of the circumstances.



If you’re having difficulty paying your energy bills, you may be able to get government assistance if you’re eligible. If you receive Centrelink payments, most energy providers can arrange for amounts to be transferred from your payments to pay your bill.


State government support

You could be eligible for state government assistance to help pay your utility bills. Visit the Government’s MoneySmart website for info in your state.


South Australia

South Australian customers can apply for assistance from the Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS). To apply, you’ll need to visit a financial counsellor who’ll assess your situation.

For information on this scheme, call the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI)’s concession hotline on 1800 307 758 or visit the South Australian Government website


New South Wales

New South Wales customers can apply for Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA). Visit the Department of Industry Resources & Energy



Queensland customers can apply for assistance from the Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme (HEEAS). Visit the Queensland Government website



Victorian customers can apply for assistance from the Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS). Visit the Victoria State Government website



Tasmanian customers may contact:

Aurora Energy – ask for help

Tas Gas – Customer payment support

1st Energy – Hardship policy



The following advice is of a general nature only and intended as a broad guide. The advice should not be regarded as legal, financial or real estate advice. You should make your own inquiries and obtain independent professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances before making any legal, financial or real estate decisions. Click here for full Terms of Use.

Get the latest articles
from our blog

Recent Posts

Find out what’s happening in our world

View all posts